Saturday, March 12, 2011

Embracing My Geekness

     Most people think that a Nerd and a Geek are the same thing.  Even though there are a couple of things that both enjoy, for the most part they are totally different.  From Wikipedia A Nerd is someone who persues intellectual activities, technical or scientific endeavors, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests, rather than engaging in more social or conventional activities.  A Nerd is alway learning about things, they are usually good at things like Math or Computers, and they are ofter considered loners.  A Geek usually enjoys comic books, action figures, science fiction, conventions, video games, role playing, podcasts, online forums and various other activities.  A Geek could either be a loner or someone who interacts with other Geeks.
     As I've mentioned before I'm a total Geek!  I've always really been a geek even though you wouldn't know it unless you actually knew me.  I look like an average guy to the everyday passer by, but then again a lot of us Geeks do.  Its never been something that I've necessarily let anybody know.  Anybody who gets to know me know that I love Movies but unless I really let you get to know me you don't get to see that other side of me. 
     I've always been into comic books, science fiction and video games.  When I got into my early twenties I started collecting action figures and trading cards.  When I got into my mid twenties I started attending comic book and scifi conventions.  Now that I'm in my early thirties I'm finding myself in a transitional period.  I'm a lot more social than I used to be.  I've never been ashamed of being a geek, it just has never been something that I've just freely let people know.  As you get older you realize more that it doesn't matter what other people think about you.  You can just be you and not have to worry about what others think.  Recently I've decided to totally embrace my Geekness.  I've even extended my geek tendencies to listening to podcasts and buying books about what its like to be a geek.  I'm proud to tell people that I love comic books, science fiction and that I collect action figures.  I love to tell people that I go to comic book and scifi conventions and see the look on their faces when I tell them every person I've met from television and the movies.  I'm a Geek and I'm proud of it.
  Being a geek nowadays isn't the same as being a geek twenty, or ten, or even two years ago.  Geeks used to be a select group of people who used to be looked down on in both Society and the Media.  Nowadays it seems that everybody has at least a little bit of geek in them.   Just about everybody plays video games.  Comic Cons are now considered places that all parents can bring their kids too.  Where as it used to be only movies and televison, now the internet is a place where things are created for so that all geekness can be displayed for everyone to see. 
    I initially started this blog more like a journal or so that I can have a place to display my rants and other personal issues.  As some things tend to do this blog not only went in a different direction but it did so very quickly.  It started several posts ago but this blog will be mostly a place for me to convey all the things that I enjoy whereas anyone who has actually read some of my blogs already know this.  Mostly this blog will explore not only all those things that makes a True Geek a Geek but also those things that make me a Geek As Well.  I'm here to say "I'm A Geek, And I'm Proud Of It".
   

No comments:

Post a Comment